Man who died after falling from 34 Peachtree has been identified

Tyquan Richardson, Photo Credit: Facebook

Last Update: Oct. 7 at 5:04 p.m.

The front of Woodruff Park was the scene of police cars, helicopters circling overhead and wide eyed onlookers, when a man fell from the third story window in the 34 Peachtree building on Oct. 6.

Today, the man was identified as 22-year-old Tyquan Richardson by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office.

After he was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital yesterday, Richardson died at 1:32 p.m. the same day, according to Atlanta Police Department Public Affairs spokesperson Warren Pickard.

Pickard said Richardson had a gun when he was in the Fulton County Superior Court Diversion Center in 34 Peachtree.

“FCSO deputies took him into custody, handcuffed him, and he was seated in a conference room with them while they completed paperwork. The suspect, got up, and dove headfirst through a window,” Pickard said.

After hitting the sidewalk on Walton Street, Richardson was unresponsive, according to Pickard.

APD Sergeant  T. Robinson said Richardson didn’t want to go to jail and committed suicide to avoid it. “He ended up committing suicide by running and jumping out the window, or rather jumping out the window,” he said.   Morgan Daves, Georgia State criminal justice student, said she was not there when the incident happened, but said she thinks this is “crazy.”  “If he fell from his back, I don’t understand how he could have fallen through. It just doesn’t make any sense,” she said. “There should be lots of investigations and the GBI should be all over it. APD should be all over it, even probably internal investigations if it was something with an officer.” 

Richardson’s most recent run in with the law was on Sept. 16 when he possessed less than an ounce of marijuana and cocaine with the intent to distribute it. His bail was set at $7,500 for the cocaine charge and $500 for possessing the marijuana, according to Fulton County Jail Records.

He was also busted back in 2013 for aggravated assault and battery on May 9, and was released on June 20, 2013, according to the jail records.