At the Nov. 13 general senate meeting of the Student Government Association, Vice President of Student Life Jovan Paige announced that the full schedule for SGA’s “Organizations of the Game” initiative has been set.
Twelve of the fourteen dates that will be reserved for the organizations will feature promotions during doubleheaders when both the men’s and women’s teams are in action.
All of the doubleheaders will feature the men’s and women’s teams squaring off against Sun Belt Conference opponents.
SGA’s date has been set for Saturday, Mar. 7 when the men’s and women’s teams take on Georgia Southern on Senior Day in what is expected to be the most attended game of the season. It is also the last regular season game of the year for the women’s and men’s teams.
Paige said that this came as a result of a meeting with Georgia State Athletics assistant director of marketing Parker Hendricks where the organizations were chosen. He described it as a “subtle incentive” for SGA.
“We know that Georgia Southern is going to be one of the biggest games,” Paige said. “And, since this is going to be the last game that’s included with the ‘Organizations of the Game’ initiative for this season, we actually were either going to go first or go last so we can be completely selfless in the whole thing and make sure we give all the attention to all of the other organizations.”
Paige also said that he wanted the two organizations per doubleheader to be different in order to promote diversity of the organizations.
- Thursday, Dec. 4˗˗men’s basketball vs. Green Bay at 7 p.m. (Alpha Phi Alpha/Sigma Lambda Upsilon
- Sunday, Dec. 21˗˗men’s basketball vs. Southern Mississippi at 2 p.m. (Alpha Kappa Alpha/Nutrition Student Network)
- Tuesday, Dec. 30˗˗doubleheader vs. UL Monroe at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Lean In)
- Saturday, Jan. 3˗˗doubleheader vs. UALR at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Black Student Alliance)
- Monday, Jan. 5˗˗doubleheader vs. Texas State at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Tighter Grip)
- Saturday, Jan. 10˗˗doubleheader vs. Troy at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Student Philanthropy Council)
- Thursday, Jan. 15˗˗doubleheader vs. UT˗Arlington at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (African Student Association/1913 Society)
- Saturday, Jan. 24˗˗doubleheader vs. Louisiana˗Lafayette at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Housing Green Team/Student Alumni Association)
- Saturday, Jan. 31˗˗doubleheader vs. Arkansas State at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Lacrosse Club/Delta Zeta)
- Thursday, Feb. 19˗˗doubleheader vs. South Alabama at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Quiet Storm Steppers/Alpha Xi Delta)
- Saturday, Feb. 21˗˗doubleheader vs. Appalachian State at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Kappa Sigma/Phi Beta Sigma)
- Saturday, Mar. 7˗˗doubleheader vs. Georgia Southern at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. (Student Government Association)
Paige also acknowledged the attendance issue for games that take place during the winter break during his opening minutes. He said that those organizations would have the opportunity to be featured during both games of the doubleheader.
“Instead of having two different organizations for those prospective games, we’ll have one organization that will be able to be represented at both,” Paige said.
SGA voted 33˗0˗1 to send the Organizations of the Game legislation to the athletics department at an Oct. 18 general senate meeting. The athletics department suggested to SGA for the organizations to plug themselves on the video board at halftime at the Sports Arena.
The original plan was there for 30 organizations to promote themselves at 15 men’s and 15 women’s games.